Monday, June 10, 2019

52 Ancestors Week 24: Dear Diary

From Amy Johnson Crow:

Week 24:

"Dear Diary" is the theme for Week 24 -- and I've already seen some questions about this theme :-) True, not everyone is fortunate enough to have an ancestor's diary or journal. (I haven't found any in my family yet!) You could write about an ancestor who you can picture keeping a diary. You could write a diary entry telling about researching someone. You could do a bit of creative non-fiction and write a diary entry as if you were one of your ancestors. 





Update on a few things before I get started with this week's prompt. Last week, Newspapers.com  had a free weekend for those interested in looking up articles about their families. This is sort of a sequel to "In the News" in that I found a very interesting article concerning my grandfather and the motel he owned on Salisbury beach.

In 1961, there was a fire in a motel he owned on Salisbury Beach with my great-uncle, Arnold Villanucci. No one was hurt or anything. It was an accident and everyone got out okay. It happened in the fall. So, no one was living there. It was just so random finding that in the Boston Globe. You'd think it'd be in the papers here in the Merrimack Valley.

Sadly, they don't have those papers archived. There were loopholes and I did manage to find my people there. Next time Newspapers.com has a free weekend, check it out because you never know who you'll find. Or what. I saw ads in the '50s for something called "Muscle juice". It sounds like it was so gross.

 Back to this week's topic. Okay. This is where I get creative. Get tissues ready. Chances are I am going to have feels, too. Here is a diary entry my grandfather Marco would write if he could see me now.

********

Dear, Christopher.

Marco's first communion.
How are you? I'm so sorry that I never got a chance to see you grow into a fine young man. Your grandmother and I used to worry about you constantly. I'm sure you know this. You were a tiny baby born a month early. When I saw your grandmother again, she told me everything you had been through in your life. I told her I had been watching you and your brother all along. I am very proud of all you've accomplished and I just want you to know that my parents, your great-grandparents, have been watching you every step of the way, too.

That includes everyone on your mother's side. I saw Grandpa Bob when he came to Heaven a few years ago and greeted him with a smile. I thanked him so much for telling you and your brother so many stories about me. Cancer sucks, kid. It really does. I didn't want to leave anyone behind and I am so sorry that I did. I don't want to dwell on that. Let's talk about the good things.

I have seen that you saw the letter I wrote your great-aunt. I'm glad you saw it and the many, many pictures we took. Did she tell you about the communion picture? Not a bad looking kid, right? That was a great day. I was still learning English and my parents insisted I wear those shoes. Those were NOT comfortable!!

I hear you're interested in genealogy now. I'm so glad you got back in touch with the family in San Pietro. As I'm sure you know, we last visited the town in 1969. Your parents were dating and I went with your great-grandfather, your great-aunt and your grandmother to San Pietro a Maida. We were going to a wedding up in Switzerland by train and I wish you could see the rolling hills, the olive trees and the spectacular beauty Italy has to offer. Maybe some day you will get there. You never know.

The family back in San Pietro are good people and I'm glad you are back in touch with them and with my mother's relatives in the Tedesco family.  I'm sure if you've seen your parents' wedding invitation list you'd know that family is very important to me. I wanted to make sure everyone was invited to that event. They were either there or invited. I grew up with many of them. We spent many holidays together and for a long time they were the only family we had in America.

Chris, there's so much I want to tell you and ask. Can you tell my sister that I know she thinks of me often? Can you tell your father that yes, I am with him every time he works on something at the house or at the office? Can you tell your nephews about me? Can you make sure Jimmy does the same thing?

Make sure Jimmy tells the kids about that time he and I shared a bottle of "vino" and how your parents caught us. That was fun story! Show them pictures of me. We, your ancestors, love it when pictures are shared. It means we're not forgotten.

Your relatives on your mother's side have asked me to tell you that pictures of them are out there, too. Somewhere. You just have to hunt for them. We love you very much, Christopher. And we're glad that you're looking into our stories. Our lives.

I'm glad that you are learning all you can about us. Remember us. We're always in your heart. I know it sounds corny. and I am glad to know that you've been just as creative as I was in life with your comics and your videos. Keep up the good work, kid.

Love, Grandpa Marco James Ferraiolo


2 comments:

  1. Love the way you've approached this prompt. I've occasionally thought about what my ancestors think of my digging into their lives. This "letter from an ancestor" brings that thought to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. =) I actually got choked up working on this blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete