Monday, August 12, 2019

52 Ancestors Week 33: Comedy

From Amy Johnson Crow: Week 33

Week 33's theme is "Comedy." Have you found something humorous in your research? Perhaps something funny happened while you were researching? Tell the story this week.



This week is all about comedy, huh? I have a few funny stories that have happened while I was researching. How I got in touch with family living in San Pietro a Maida is actually a funny story now that I think about it. And it's all thanks to Mark Zuckerberg. 

When I first restarted my genealogical adventure in 2017, my great-aunt Nicole wanted me to get in touch with a woman in San Pietro a Maida who she said would probably help me out with information there. She gave me her e-mail address and a few other odds and ends. I said sure thinking that I'd get to it eventually. My great-aunt, as I've explained before, was born in San Pietro a Maida and her family moved to Haverhill in the 1920s. She still kept in contact via letters and visited the country a few times since she immigrated.

To get some help on the Italian side of things, I decided I needed to join the Italian Genealogy Facebook group. I thought it was the best place to get some help translating documents. It still is! I asked a question and someone suggested that I join the town's Facebook group in order to get the real dirt and information. I was hesitant as there is a bit of a language barrier. The guy said that using Google Translate might go a long way to helping. I thought to myself "What harm could it do?" I mean computer based translating algorithms have gone a LONG way since the days of Babelfish.

I registered and posted this question. Translated of course:

"Hello, 

My name is Chris Ferraiolo. I'm from the United States and I'm researching my family's roots in town. Can someone help me look up information on Vincenzo Ferraiolo (1894-1970) and Maria Tedesco   (1900-1943). I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks for letting me into the group! 

Ciao!" 


Within a few minutes, the replies came flooding in. One guy said he worked for the commune office and said he'd be happy to help. And he did. The results have been amazing! Another reply came from a woman who had a last name that I was rather familiar with. "Papatolo". In my research, I found Papatolas connected to the Coppola side of my tree. Only, this woman wasn't on that side. She asked me this question.

"Hello! Are you by chance related to Nicolina Ferraiolo? She resides in the American state of Tennessee."

My jaw DROPPED! This lady thousands of miles away knew my great-aunt?! WHAT?! I even said that as I stared at the screen. Right away, I texted Nicolina's daughter and asked her about this lady who posted that on Facebook.  She said "That's your cousin, Caterina! Your aunt hadn't seen her since she was a little kid!"

I was still floored. You probably would have needed a spatula to peel me off! I sent a message to Caterina and we got to talking. She didn't mind that I was using Google Translate for the hard words. In fact, I think she kind of expected it. At least the Italian wasn't REALLY bad. That would have made for an awkward conversation. Not to mention a really short one.

She told me that her that her grandmother, Caterina Tedesco, was my great-grandmother's younger sister. She remembered the time that Nicole, Vincenzo and my grandparents all visited San Pietro a Maida just before they went to a wedding in Switzerland. She asked how she was and I said she was doing great for a woman in her nineties! She asked me if I had any pictures of Antonio Tommaso Tedesco and Domenica Gullo, 

Antonio and Domenica Tedesco
I was like "Nope." So, she said she would go to the cemetery the next day and get me a few pictures.
I said "Grazimille!" and we've been talking ever since. She introduced me to her brother and another cousin with the Tedesco name. That was a great story because I actually made an old man thousands of miles away smile.

Her father was born in the 1930s and remembered my great-aunt very well. He asked how Nicolina was and I said she was doing good and that I'd pass along any messages he might have. That thrilled the old man and I wish I could have seen the smile on his face. I really do.  Even though text I could tell that I made him happy.

We had a few laughs and we still talk to this day. I have added the family from Italy on Facebook. One thing still puzzled me at the time. Neither of the people I was in contact with was the woman my great-aunt told me to contact so long ago. So, I thought to myself, "Could she also be on Facebook?" I quickly typed in her name and sure enough she was there. I quickly sent her a message and some time later she replied in English. "Hi, Chris!" like she was expecting me.

We got to talking and it turns out she is Caterina's sister in law so there's no doubt that the family was talking about their American cousin contacting them. I laughed. I should have contacted her FIRST, right? That would have saved a lot of time.

So, now the family in Italy and I talk. Just last weekend my great-aunt asked me to ask them for e-mail addresses so she could send pictures. I said sure. I don't mind being the go-between between Italy and my great-aunt.

The story is a funny one because never in a million years did I expect to find family still living in Italy. Most of the Carrabs side in Gesualdo came to America and I saw them frequently. My third cousin on that side even contacted me on Ancestry long before I did a DNA test. My great-aunt told me I had family there who were still around. I just didn't know how old they were. 

Two weeks in a row with good morals here, kids. This one is to "Always listen to your elders!" Or at the very least "Expect the unexpected in your research." The family in the mother country could be out there. You'll never know who you'll find or if they find you. 

See ya next time!

Images of Google Earth are property of Google Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment