Tuesday, July 7, 2020

52Ancestors Week 28: Multiple

From Amy Johnson Crow: Week 28's theme is "Multiple." Twins? Triplets? Multiple marriages? Numerous nicknames? How are you going to interpret "multiple"?


Thank you, Google.
How should I interpret "Multiple"? Hmm....How about how multiple siblings can help you get started on your genealogical adventure? It makes life a lot easier. Oh, there may be discrepancies along the way, sure. But, you have to admit it does make for interesting conversations!  Check this out.

The Carrabs sisters, Fountains of knowledge and makers
great food!
My father is an only child. He has no brothers and sisters. That doesn't mean he didn't have aunts and he had a LOT of them. On my grandmother's side, he had four aunts: Jenny, Josie, Eleanor and Louise. My grandma Ollie was the youngest and they all lived in relatively close proximity to each other. Josie lived in Nashua, New Hampshire and the rest lived in Haverhill.

I should note that though my dad was an only child, he has several first cousins. They were pretty much his brothers and sisters growing up!

Having all of the aunts so close by often meant that they'd be at each others' houses every once in a while. When I was growing up, we'd visit every chance we got and more often than not one or three of the aunts would be sitting at the round table in the kitchen having tea, eating cookies or just talking about anything.

Once they saw my brother and I, they'd crowd around us like we were the center of the universe. We'd sit down and talk about stuff like school or what we were doing in the area. It didn't matter. They listened intently to everything we said.

When they finished and resumed talking about family stuff, I usually returned the favor. I often asked "Who, what, where, why and when". The five ws aren't just for reporters. They have be very helpful when talking to a bunch of chatty great-aunts and your grandmother. Trust me. When dealing with multiple siblings sitting at a table, it's a good idea to follow these steps. It'll help paint a picture of your genealogical adventure and help get you started. Here's what you do:

1. Listen.

That's the first step you should take. Save all of your questions for the end or a break in the action because sometimes they'll answer the questions for you.

The sisters and their parents in the US Census.
One time my grandmother was talking about how her father, Giuseppe lived in the apartment building Louise ended up living in.  He had a garden and grew many vegetables. The sisters all nodded and talked about their neighbors on Bartlett street in Haverhill. Later on, this would be confirmed in the 1920, 1930 and 1940 US censuses.


2. Write stuff down!!

In many cases, talking to a bunch of people at once can be a little daunting. If your grandma starts talking and her sister starts talking over her, you might want to ask for a piece of paper to write stuff down. This is actually how I managed to get a rudimentary family tree....written on a napkin. Hey. Some of the best ideas in the world were written on napkins! Don't judge!
 Actually, they gave me a sheet of paper and I wrote some stuff on it. =)

3. Be polite.

If you're in an impromptu genealogy filled conversation, it's a good idea to be polite and patient. Sometimes your family members will give you some information. I remember one time one of the aunts got up and came back with a box full of photos she wanted to show me while everyone was talking. I should also note that you probably should wipe your hands before handling a photo because chances are you're going to be EATING when this conversation happens. Nine times out of ten it happened to me. It's unavoidable.

Carrabs clan
4. Q and As!

Once the family stops talking, it's a good idea to start asking questions. I often asked how Gesualdo was since I knew my grandmother went to Italy in the late 1960s. I often asked if she could tell me about grandpa Marco because he died when I was four. She was more than happy to do so. However, she always told me to ask his sister for more information and since she lived in Tennessee I often asked questions in various letters or over the phone.

5. Be aware!

Like any conversation with a bunch of people, there are bound to be some discrepancies along the way. Sometimes one sister would correct the other saying "That didn't happen like that!" In that case, it's up to you to look things up and judge for yourself. I've been fortunate. Many of the things they told me about turned out to be true.

* Their parents did come to America aboard the Adriatic. We have a picture of the boat.
* The family DID live on Bartlett Street in Haverhill. I've been to that house.

The list goes on and on. Some things they did talk about turned out to be false like us having a connection to Queen Isabella of Spain. I have NO idea where that came from and it was one of the first things I disproved when I really got into genealogy. I always thought it was a little far-fetched.

6. Have a good time.

It isn't enough to look like you're having a good time, you have to BE having a good time. That way your great-aunts and everyone will be more than willing to share all kinds of info. The same can be said of you're interviewing one person. And that brings up another point. Don't make it seem like an interview. Just let them go. Sometimes the information will come out on its own. You aren't going to learn much by pressing too hard. Just enjoy yourself and let the information come to you.

That's really about it. I am sure there are more tips people could use. I was fortunate to have several great-aunts and my grandmother living close to each other. Others may have more difficulty in getting information for various reasons. But, if you are lucky to have a bunch of siblings and your grandma nearby have them sit around a big round table in the kitchen and just let them go. Just have your notebook handy just in case!! If they go off topic let them. Listen and learn. You'll never know what you'll discover by just observing and eating your nonna's cooking. Eat every bite. She spent all day cooking that! MANGIA!

No comments:

Post a Comment