Thursday, January 12, 2023

52 Ancestors Week 2: Favorite Photo

From Amy Johnson Crow: The theme for Week 2 is "Favorite Photo." I've had this theme in almost every version of 52 Ancestors because, let's face it, who can choose just one?! Plus, we should be telling the stories of those photos so they don't get lost to time.

It's once again time to play that Chad Kroeger song....

    It just wouldn't be 52 Ancestors without a blog about photographs in early January and this year is no exception! Last year, I talked about my parents' wedding photo. In 2021, I talked about the only picture I have with myself and my grandfather, Marco. I've even talked about my great-grandparents' photo from 1929 in 2020. Sufficed it to say, I have a lot of great photos and a lot of great stories to go with them. This year, we're going to look at one photo that just makes me laugh every time I see it. It's kind of like that overplayed Chad Kroeger song I keep referencing. Link is in the header if you want to hear the dulcet tones of Nickelback.

    Taken in the summer of 1926, this is a photograph of my second great-grandmother Georgianna Ross, her husband Joseph Laplante and Georgianna's sister, Clara Ross-Casey. Right away you notice the fantastic roaring '20s era swimwear. The bikini was clearly not invented yet. But, hey. Those ladies were really working those swim caps. 

    What makes me laugh the most is the guy in the middle with the stogie in his mouth and that 1920s swagger that screams "Yeah. You wish you were me. I'm the most stylish barber this side of Newburyport."

    This photo was likely taken not too far from Newburyport on Plum Island or even Salisbury beach. I'm not really sure because both beaches are very easy to get to from the city. This photo could've even been taken near Ipswich on Crane beach for all I know.

    I'm just guessing at this point because this picture could be at any of those three. It's certainly not "Muscle Beach, California". Though, I can picture Joseph here flexing. You can too. Admit it!

    The only hint about the photo's origin is from the writing at the top of the photo. I cropped off the top after I scanned it. On the top, it reads, "1926. Georgianna Ross Laplante, Joseph Laplante and Clara Ross-Casey". My grandfather liked to label pictures and I thank him for it. However, did he HAVE to write ON the photo itself?!

My mom and aunt with their dad, grandma and
great-grandparents.

    I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's a great photograph of Joseph and Georgianna when they were fifty-two and fifty years old respectively. They looked pretty good for their early fifties, I have to admit.

    The reason why I like that photograph so much is simply because of how animated everyone looks. Usually when you see a picture from the early 1900s, everyone looks so stiff and rigid. Here you can see their personalities shine through. Georgianna's got that great smile while Joseph's still got that swagger. I'm not sure who had the stogie swagger first. Him or Milton Berle.

    I'm not sure why Clara looks a little cautious there. Maybe something off camera caught her attention? Could her husband be talking to her? One thing's for sure. I NOW grandpa Hamel didn't take the photograph. He was like one at the time. He was a great photographer but I don't think he had the motor skulls needed to operate a 1920s era camera.

    The odd thing is that my mother has never seen that photograph before. I suppose it makes sense since it was discovered in that box of stuff my aunt Linda sent me ages ago and that was the first time I've seen it, too. I might dig through that box again, soon, and see what other photos I come up with. Why not, right?
Joseph in the '50s.

    The first picture is definitely proof that Joseph Laplante was quite the character. He clearly had a great sense of humor and a great outlook on life. I suppose if you're a barber you need to have that kind of personality. Cutting hair is a lot like bartending. You never know who you'll meet in the chair and you have to talk to your customer. Though, I doubt anyone got drunk in the barber's chair. Wow....Can you imagine? "I'll take a little off the top and...Sir, are you okay. Oh, no... Well, perhaps I'll start a trend...."

    As you can see in this week's blog, I've got quite a collection of pictures of Joseph. Some of them like this one are from his later years and I believe I have a couple from the 1890s! Not bad, right? A lot of the Hamel/Laplante cousins have been helpful in sending them my way and I thank them every day for these pictures because they are just too cool and priceless. Some pics, however, are going to have to remain internal. HAHAHA!

    The first one I showed is probably my favorite picture of him because of his attiude. You can't go wrong with pictures that show just the right amount. And it's a positive attitude, too. A little positivity can go a long way!

In 1907 they were a little more subdued.
There's no doubt about it. Photographs can tell you more about a person than simply adding random facts and figures into your favorite genealogy program. They bring the person back to life and like Amy said in the prompt, you get to see and hear an amazing story that goes with them.

    I still want to know if they were on Salisbury beach or on Crane for that picture. It was one of the two since I know for a fact Joseph lived in Newburyport.  By the way, you can find out more about that city in my  brand new one place study! Check it out here

What? I can't advertise my own stuff on my website? Are you new? See ya next time!

2 comments:

  1. Joseph looks out from photos with a twinkle in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete