Thursday, February 29, 2024

52 Ancestors Week 9: Changing Names

 From Amy Johnson Crow: Week 9

The theme for Week 9 is "Changing Names." Our ancestors' names were more fluid that we often think. Whether it's using a middle name as a first name, using a nickname, or Americanizing a name to "fit in," our ancestors usually went by more than one name during their lifetime. (And let's not forget the women who changed their surname each time they got married!) This week, write about an ancestor with a changing name.

Giuseppe= Joseph

    Before we get started with this week's blog, let me share this rather important message from the genealogical superstars out there. No one's last name was EVER changed at Ellis Island! The manifests were made at the port of departure before your immigrant ancestor ever arrived in New York. If any name changes occured, it likely happened well after their arrival when they decided "Zhokhar the Unbouncable" was just too hard a name for some people to deal with so they decided to be "Ken Adams" instead. Personally, I'd have stuck with Zhokhar. That way you could strike fear in the hearts of those who would dare oppose you!

    I can honestly say that no one in my family tree has legally changed their last names. The Italians in the tree basically just translated their first names in order to better assimilate into the culture they found themselves living in. "Giuseppe" became "Joseph". "Giovanna" became "Jenny" and of course "Vincenzo" became "James". That last one confuses people and was a topic of one of my early blogs. Check it out here. I think it might be time to take a closer look at that phenomenon because it still puzzles my father and chances are you're scratching your head thinking about the issue right now. Shh. It'll be okay. I promise.

Nicolina, Vincenzo and Cathie.


   My great-grandfather Vincenzo Ferraiolo was one of the many Vincenzos out there who went by the name "James" in America. You might be asking yourself why that is. The name "Vincenzo" should translate to "Vincent" because "Giacomo" translates into "James". Well, you're right. However, things aren't always what they seem. 

    Believe it or not there have been studies as to why "Vincenzo" became "James" such as this one from the "Italian Journal". The article explains how certain Italian names had English equivalents like the ones I mentioned earlier and correctly states that names were translated in order for the immigrant ancestor to be assimilated into the new culture.

    That's all well and good and everything. But, the article never really gives me or the reader a direct answer as to how Vincenzo became James.  I hate it when articles promise something and never deliver. That's a type of clickbait and I advise you all to stay away from that and videos that do the same thing.  I mean the article says there's "No definitive answer". To that I say..."Hold my root beer. I'm about to blow some minds."

Aunt Nickie sporting groovy
'60s hair.
    If there's one thing I've learned from talking to my friends and family living in Europe it's that the name "Vincenzo" has many nicknames associated with it. One of the nicknames is "Cenz". When you say that name out loud, it sort of sounds like "James", doesn't it? I imagine gets more prominent if you have a thick Italian accent.

    So, with that in mind. Wouldn't it make sense that the nickname somehow evolved into "James" once he spent some time in America? Seems logical doesn't it? Let me pitch this scenario for you.

    Vincenzo is at a dinner with some non Italian friends and his wife says "Cenz, can you come over here for a minute?" The friends hear "James" and everyone starts to call him by that name. It sticks and then he signs documents with the name "James Ferraiolo". In fact, it's the name he uses in the census, draft cards, passports and any other record under the sun.

    Now, doesn't that seem logical? I mean it makes sense to me. Of course, I might be wrong with my guess. It does seem logical doesn't it? 

    Bloggers like the "Hardcore Italians" seem to agree with my assertations and to be honest it makes the most sense. You all know me. I like it when things make sense! Hardcore Italians having more "street cred" than a psychologist is not something I ever would have had on my Internet bingo card, though. Check out their YouTube Channel!  Anyway, the blog explains in great detail how "Cenz" is a nickname for "Vincenzo" and how it sounds like "James" in English. 

    When an Italian says "Cenz", it sounds like "James" as I said earlier because the Italian pronunciation of "Vincenzo" is much different from the English pronunciation. The "c" in the Italian version makes a "ch" sound like "church" or "channel". In English, the "c" sounds like "cent".

Vincenzo is "James" on his passport.


    I think  the "Hardcore Italians"  blog may have won the debate here. Someone better give them all of cannoli and biscotti they can eat! I've actually been curious about the topic myself. I remember seeing a copy of "Italian American Monthly" sitting on my cousin Carol's coffee table and they had a cover story discussing the issue. Because of that cover, my dad and the cousins spent an hour discussing the issue! He ended up taking the magazine home and was taken aback by the article's lack of an answer to the "puzzle".

    The theory put forth by "Hardcore Italians" holds water because it makes the most sense. They explained the phoenetics and people in Europe agree with those assertations. So, there we have it! Mystery solved! Right? RIGHT!

    Well, Vincenzo here did sign his name as "James" on various records like I said. I just think he did that in order to assimilate. "James" became "Jimmy" and that's how my dad and my brother got their names since they're both named "James".

    The most interesting thing about all of this is that on his gravestone at Saint Patrick's cemetery in Haverhill he is listed as "Vincenzo Ferraiolo". Now, why do you suppose that is? My best guess is that like many Italians he wanted to have the name he was born with on his gravestone. The same thing happened with my grandfather Marco and all four of my Italian great-grandparents. People wanted to honor the culture they came from on their final resting place. I've seen many stones in that cemetery with the Italian names on the stones rather than the English ones. There are some exceptions, though.

    So, now we know how "Vincenzo" became "James". Is it a definitive answer? Looks like it to me. Does it make sense? Yes, it does. "Vincenzo" becoming "James" shouldn't be that big of a puzzle because if you look hard enough, you'll find that the answer was in right front of you the whole time. That's actually my favorite solution to a puzzle. 

See ya next time!

2 comments:

  1. Your theory looks good to me! Also I love that groovy 60s hair style on Aunt Nickie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called it groovy when she showed me the pic. She laughed. =D Yeah. That theory is as good as any!

      Delete