Thursday, June 27, 2024

52 Ancestors Week 26: Family Gathering

 From Amy Johnson Crow: Week 26

The theme for Week 26 is "Family Gathering." It's the time of year for family reunions, holiday cookouts, and other get-togethers. Has your family had a family reunion? Do you have favorite memories of getting together with cousins and other relatives?

One out of two grandparents look directly at the camera.

    There's a lot I could say about this week's topic because my family has had its fair share of family gatherings. I've seen family at weddings, funerals, birthday parties and of course the annual Christmas eve feast of the seven fishes. I don't think there's been one gathering I haven't talked about in this blog. It's true that I haven't gone through many specific ones because over time the events just sort of blur together into one big party. Don't worry. I've got a story for everyone this week like I always do. Sit back and make sure you dress to the nines because we're heading to a wedding!

My cousin Ryan, David, Kristyn and Kristyn and
Ryan's father.
    My cousin Kristyn married her then boyfriend David Stout on March 3rd, 2016 in scenic Jacksonville, Florida. Naturally, everyone was invited to attend and though some people couldn't make it I took it upon myself to make a wedding video for the happy couple. I even I made it a point to include messages from family members who weren't at the event. See! I didn't just review comics on YouTube, you know! My editing talents are available for weddings, funerals, bar mitzvahs, bat mitzvahs, conventions and more! Email me and we'll hash out the details. Have your people contact my people! I'll even do dog weddings! I'm sure that's a thing. Right?


    All joking aside, the wedding of Kristyn and David was a huge deal and it wasn't just because my cousin was getting married. Nope. This was unfortunately the last time I saw my grandfather Robert Hamel alive and in person prior to his death the following year. Naturally, we didn't know it at the time. But, we still made the event one for the books!

I make this look good.
    The reason why it became so memorable started right when my parents and I were waiting for the bus to take us to Logan airport in Boston. I uhh....forgot to pack my suit for the wedding. I can see the disappointment in your eyes, everyone! It all worked out! Once we arrived in Jacksonville we went to a store and picked out a suit just a day before the wedding.

    I told Kristyn what happened and she just smirked and shook her head. Hey. The suit I got was actually better than the one I left at home!

    My grandfather and my cousin Brianna had the shortest distance to travel since they were living in Florida at the time. So, we all met up at the hotel before the wedding and took in some of the sights around town. Jacksonville was nice and since it was early March it wasn't ungodly warm out there. It was warm but not too warm.
   
    We all ended up going to a few nice seafood restaurants and I remember my grandfather watching me eat this lightly cooked tuna encrusted with nuts on a bed of rice. It was like sushi/sashimi. He asked me if I was having a good time. I said I was. I asked him the same thing and he said he was too. But, I could tell he definitely missed my grandmother, Natalie. She and Kristyn were pretty close and I know she would have definitely wanted to be there. Perhaps she was there in spirit.

My cousin Brianna
    The ceremony was as beautiful as you might expect. With her boquet she carried our grandmother's hankerchief and I thought that was a nice touch. She had something from both of her grandmothers in the gown she wore and that was really cool.

    Once the ceremony was over, it was time to party. I spent a lot of time recording bits for the video and talking to various people. I got snippets from the minister who married them, most of the wedding party and various family members.
   
    Since it was still early March the sun set pretty early. So, the minister was actually making sure I was recording a bit here and there. The funny part was I was getting side-eyed by the wedding photographer the whole time! After a few bits I explained to her what I was doing and she seemed okay with everything. At least I hope she was! I wasn't trying to steal her thunder! I swear!

   
I don't know why I look surprised here.
    I did get some clever bits from my grandfather. I told him what I was up to and I asked if he wanted to say anything to Kristyn and David. Natually, he couldn't hear me thanks to the loud music. He had no idea what to make of "Uptown Funk". That song was one of many awesome bangers at the party. Kristyn and David knew what the people wanted to hear!

    In the end, Papa said "I wrote it down."  I took that to mean he signed the guestbook and offered his best wishes.

    That's all you can really ask for. He couldn't hear very well. But, I added that bit into the video and I'm glad I did.  Oh and just so we're clear I made sure I had fun in between filming bits here and there. Though, it was fun dodging the wedding photographer and having the minister help me with some what he called "establishing shots". He was a cool guy I have to admit. 

Aww! When siblings dance.
    One of the best memories I have from the wedding involve Kristyn's mom, Linda. My aunt Linda was supposed to get a knee replacement the day after the wedding. So, what do you think she did? Well, she didn't rest her legs. I can tell you that much!

    Instead of resting she had a bit of a dance-off with her son, Ryan and wore every bit of what was left of her old knee down. Why not, right? If your knee's gonna go out why not dance to the greatest hits from "Uptown Funk" to even "Billie Jean".

    And oh, yes. Linda caused a scene. =) 

    My aunt also made the rounds to every table and wanted to make sure everyone was having a good time. No one ever dared to tell her to slow down. Mother of the bride was in "mama mode" the whole time.  She went into surgery the next day with no regrets at all! If you're going to have knee surgery the day after your daughter gets married, why not go out with a bang? She had no regrets and I can't blame ber for partying!

    Family gatherings like Kristyn and David's wedding are memorable because of the people there and the general celebratory atmosphere. While it is sad that their wedding was the last time my cousins and I saw our grandfather, we take solace in knowing that we saw him the way we wanted to remember him. We remember him having a great time with friends and family alike at the party. He celebrated with us and had a great time. In the end, that's what counts!  It's good to look back at events like these and remember the good times everyone shared because they'll never come again and you never know what the future will bring.

See ya next time!


P.S. I also tried grits for the first time at the wedding. And no they weren't "magic grits". They were pretty good.

2 comments: